"We have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."

2 Corinthians 4:7







Sunday, November 1, 2009

Me, Myself and I

Several years ago country singer, Toby Keith, wrote a song called, "I Wanna Talk About Me!" Isn't that so true? How many of us really want to talk about ourselves? How many of us will be honest enough to admit it?

Why would Christian author, Max Lucado, even have to write a book a few years ago called, "It's Not About Me."?

Could it be that we have made the Christian Life all about us? Has church become all about us? Do we read the Bible and esteem the men in the Bible that God chose to use over God himself?

How many sermons have you heard calling PAUL a spiritual giant, and then you hear someone say...."I could never be like Paul."? Or any other Bible Character that we lift up and compare ourselves to.

God has not called us to be like any other person, nor did He call us to salvation to make us more like US. We are called to BECOME more like HIM.


"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me." Galatians 2:20

I want to share with you something I learned from T.W. Hunt several years ago and I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me. I have to constantly remind myself that "It's Not About Me." The flesh doesn't die easy and I find myself wanting to feed it when it gets hungry instead of letting it starve to death.

We have already established that our lives are not about us, but Christ.

T.W. Hunt reminded me a few years ago that the Bible is about GOD. Now you may say, I know that, but do you practice it? He challenged me to think about how I teach the Bible and to think about how many times I have heard lessons and sermons where the REAL story is missed.

Here are some examples of the "supposed story" we often teach or hear taught and then the REAL story where God is the focus.


Story/Supposed Story/RealStory

David-Goliath/"heroism"/God does not need help.

Jehoshaphat/ "trust"/God does not need an army

David's hurts/ "sin lasts"/ A heart right with God always returns to God

Hannah/ "God rewards"/Prayer changes history.....

Job/"remained faithful"/ God reveals Himself in suffering

Corinth/"superior attitudes"/God's love is greater than our superiorities

Peter /"all are weak"/ God foreknows and provides for our weakness

It's all about GOD!

Let's tell His Story!











No comments:

Post a Comment