"We have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."

2 Corinthians 4:7







Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"BE"

I originally wrote this post back in October, but as I got up on this Thanksgiving morning, I started thinking about this post again. Maybe it is because I have a LONG list of "To-DO's" to accomplish by the 2 pm meal. Again, I have revisited the Martha/Mary story and I long to BE today, not just DO. And because it is Thanksgiving, I'd like to add one more BE......."BE THANKFUL!" Love YOU ALL! Blessings to you and your family!



I was raised "going to church". In fact, I went to church the entire time I was in my mother's womb. I have never questioned the importance of "going to church", but I have questioned if the "going" and "doing" is all there is to the Christian Life and if some of the activity is really of God.

O.K., before you think I have lost my mind, hang with me. It seems to me that in all the "going" and "doing" one thing tends to be overlooked, "being".

BE Holy:
Lev. 11:44-45, Lev. 20L7-8, Lev. 20:26, Lev. 27:9, Eph. 1:4, 1Pet. 1:15-16, 1 Cor. 7:1
(separate-we see what the world cannot see!)

BE Merciful:
Luke 6:36, Ps. 86:15, Is. 55:7, Mic. 7:18-19
(it is a fulfillment of the covenant to show God's kind of mercy)

BE Perfect:
Gen. 17:1, Deut. 19:13, 2 Cor. 13:9, 11, Col. 1:28, Col. 4:12, James 1:2-4
(blameless, unblemished, mature, complete, or finished)

BE One:
Jer. 32:39, John 10:16, John 17:11, 21-23, Acts 2:46, Acts 4:32, Rom. 12:5, 1 Cor. 1:10, 1 Cor. 12:25-26, Gal. 3:28, Eph. 4:3-6, Phillip. 1:7, Philip. 2:2-4

(UNITY-not divided with jealousy or quarrels as mentioned in 1 Corth. 3 or fighting over who is the GREATEST as in Luke 9:46-48)

I hear a lot of pleas to GO & DO, but not many sermons on BEING or BECOMING!

Becoming as mentioned in Phil. 3:12-15.

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made PERFECT, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But ONE THING I DO,: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Recently, I have been challenged by a friend of mine, Jason Dukes, who wrote a book called "Live Sent: You Are A Letter" to not just GO TO CHURCH, but BE THE CHURCH.

His book is available on Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Live-Sent-you-are-letter/dp/1604943408/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256052020&sr=1-1

Here are a few questions that have been going through my mind lately....Have we forgotten that "We are God's fellow workers, God's field, God's building?" (1 Corth. 3:9)

"Don't we know that we are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in us?" (1 Corth. 3:16)

I've been pondering these thoughts since 2005 when I heard T.W. Hunt teach on "Being". For some reason it seems much easier to obey a command to "do" something than it is to obey a command to "be" something. It seems to me that Christians have a tendency to ignore the commands to "be" something.

Am I BEING God's love letter sent to this world?

I guess to Be or not to Be.....is still a good question!



2 comments:

  1. Here is a comment from one of my former professors, Dr. Jordan:

    I have long pondered the scriptural emphasis on "being.." Until we are really "becoming," the doing does not accomplish as much as God intends. Thanks for sharing. I once preached a sermon on "The Becomers." That is who we ought to be. Then we will really be the overcomers.

    Dr. J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christian means , "Christ in one". Therefore, it is the being. Church should fuel our being.
    :) Pam Mutz

    ReplyDelete